Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Draft Was Trying to Get Me

I remember the Darft Lottery very well.  The Vietnam War started when I was in 7th grade and then continued all the way through high school.  I thought that war was never going to end.  Graduate high school and there was a good chance you'd be heading for Southeast Asia in a few months unless you were going to go to college.

Since I was planning on being a teacher, college was already in my plans.  Maybe the war would be over by the time I got out of that.

I was too young for the first Draft Lottery and very much relieved when May 24th was drawn number 31.  Dodged the bullet with that one.  And since the first one had my birthday with such a low number, that had to mean that when it counted for me the next year, it had to be higher.  Right?  You'd Think?

But, NO, the next year good old May 24th was drawn number 22!!  When I got out of college, the next stop was Vietnam.  Unless the war was over, but it sure didn't appear to be heading in that direction.  I even joined the Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Class so I could get commissioned a second leiutenant upon graduating.

Fortunately, that war that would never ever end, did finally draw to a close and the last American troops were withdrawn a few months before graduation.

That was a close one.

Thanks a Lot, Mr. Tarr.  --Cooter

No comments: