Friday, January 11, 2013

The Best-Ever Music Festival I Never Went To: Woodstock

From the August 2009 Time Magazine "Taking Stock" by Josh Tyrangel.

On the 40th anniversary.

The article said a lot of other folk didn't get there because of the massive traffic jam.  I didn't get to it because I thought it was in Woodstock, Illinois, (I lived in Palatine, Illinois, at the time) and went looking there.  Max Yasgur's farm was in upstate New York.

I see that good old Rhino Records, now Entertainment Group, put out a six disc set of 77 tracks, many of which were thought to be lost.  I'd personally really love to hear the set by my favorite group back in those days, CCR.

They say the eight hours of sound represents a fifth of the overall concert and that the first half of the festival was "honkingly bad."  Richie Havens' "Freedom (Motherless Child)" was a song he improvised on stage as the next artists were stuck in traffic.

I Want To Take You Higher.  --Cooter

No comments: