Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fiftieth Anniversary of 1963-- Part 1: The Move to Illinois

From the Dec. 2012 AARP Bulletin.

Hard to believe it's been fifty years now, a half century.

Back in 1963, I moved from the South (North Carolina) to the North (Illinois) and I've lived in Illinois ever since with the exception of one year in Georgia.

I was very concerned when Dad said we were moving to Illinois as Quaker Oats had transferred him to the home office at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago.  I remember my 5th grade social studies book (in Greenville) had one picture of Chicago, and it was of the slums and I though we were going to live there..

Sure glad we moved to Rolling Meadows, a northwest suburb and rented a house on Kirchoff Road (corner of Flicker Lane).  Definitely not a slum.  We rapidly made friends and had some great dirt clod fights in some nearby apartments that were being built and wars in a field across the road.

I attended Cardinal Drive School for sixth grade with my sister Julie who was in first grade.  Brother Bob attended Kimball Hill School for 4th grade.

We had just a short walk to some great stores.  We used to collect soda  bottles for 2 cents a pop and I used my money to buy HO Scale Civil War soldiers at Ace Hardware, 48 for 49 cents.  There was also a huge discount store called Topps.  We used to catch little fish in a nearby pond and I even learned how to ice skate a little bit.

Hey, I Liked It.  --Cooter   Fiftieth

No comments: