Monday, April 9, 2012

As We Come Up On the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic-- Part 2

** Plus, young folks can se what an ocean liner looked like before they became floating hotels.

** Belfast, Northern Ireland recently opened a $160 million "visitor experience" on the former Harland and Wolff shipyard where the Titanic was built. It also has a marine exploration center linked with the work of Robert Ballard, who found the ship in 1985.

** The Titanic is the centerpiece of the current National Geographic Magazine. (Drat, I just let my subscription expire!)

** The National Geographic Channel has two new documentaries our about it "Save the Titanic with Robert Ballard" and "Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron."

** April 15-16th, ABC will show the four-hour British-produced miniseries "Titanic."

** I just rifled through a Wal-Mart DVD $5 bargain bin and came up with one featuring several Titanic documentaries.

** Said Robert Ballard: "For me, it was not the ship. It was the story of people. When I went down there it spoke to me." And also made him rich and famous.

** On a cruise I took with my family arpund Great Britain, we stopped at Belfast and the ship tied up right by the drydock where the Titanic was built. Being that close to history. Back then, they were planning to outline the ship with light tubing.

Thanks Robert, Though, for Finding It. Salute! --DaCoot

No comments: