Sunday, April 15, 2012

The 100th Anniversary of the Titanic's Sinking: Walter Lord and the ABC Special

I don't usually post on Sunday, but this is a red-letter date in history.

Just a bit ago, I went into a a storage area I haven't been in for a long time and dug out my old "A Night to Remember" paperback by Walter Lord about the ship's sinking, that I bought at a school book sale way back when for 50 cents.

This book got me interested in the ship. Walter Lord could write interesting history better than most. I also have books by him on Hannibal, Pearl Harbor and the Alamo. To this day, these are four things that have always held my interest.

Last night, I watched the ABC special on the Titanic. Other than its big depiction of class differences and a few of the bitchiest women ever, there wasn't much new shown here. But, it is about the Titanic and I found it of interest.

I was wondering why they got to the sinking after 45 minutes of the first of four hour segments, but found out that they were going to do a lot of flashbacks to explain some of the things going on.

Looking forward to the concluding segment tonight. Is it opposite "Mad Men?" Looks like time to fire up the 'ol VCR. And, then there is the History Channel special. I was a bit surprised that no one showed Cameron's :Titanic" movie. Wish we could get the National Geographic Channel.

The Story of the Ship. --RoadDog

2 comments:

Daddy Bob said...

Yea, you don't usually post on Sundays. I was wondering if you were going to write on the Titantic today. We get the Nat. Geo channel and I'm watching the program as I'm typing. We will be on a cruise to Bermuda next Sunday.

RoadDog said...

For some reason, that first year we went on a cruise with Mom, I watched "The Poseidon Adventure" a short time before we went. Probably not a good choice. Made me think.

And, then, there is you watching the Titanic stuff and then going yourself.

Of course, there was our last cruise when the engine room caught fire in the Royal Princess. That was an experience.