Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Keeping the Memory Alive

From the Dec. 7th Chicago Tribune.

Brothers Rick and Bob Miller's father, now deceased, was at Pearl Harbor that day. They have taken over the northern Illinois chapter of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and are doing their part to keep it going and to promote education of the event.

They would have been proud of me because my students had lessons about it even though I didn't teach that part of history.

Three other local survivors were interviewed: Jack Barry, 92; Ed Block, 93; and Dean Garrett,91, each witnessed the attack from different vantage points.

Said Jack Barry, "I never thought about being a part of history. It was just part of my life. I want people to remember Pearl Harbor, that we screwed up. We weren't prepared and we should be prepared. Be alert."

A Day to Remember.

No comments: