Thursday, December 29, 2011

In North Carolina 'Cue Is a Cultural Thing, Even War

I'm from North Carolina originally and am a big fan of that eastern Carolina-style barbecue and will swear up and down that it is the best, but in actuality, must admit that I've never met a non-hot 'cue I didn't like.

From the July 3, 2011, Chicago Tribune "The war between the tastes in BBQ" by Kevin Pang. Notice the nice play in the Civil War's War Between the States?

"What's more, there exists a culture war in North Carolina, a divide as vast as the state is wide. In the eastern North Carolina style, the hog is smoked whole. meat from all parts of the pig, including crispy bits of rind, is chopped into a hash of pork textures. The sauce has a base of vinegar and peppers.

In the Piedmont version (also called western) ketchup and sugar is added to make it a sweet-sour taste. Also, instead of the whole hog, the shoulder is the favored cut.

The squabbling between eastern and western continues today.

Then, Kevin goes eating at 'cue places.

Of course, my own personal favorite place to eat 'cue is Wilber's in Goldsboro.

Let's have Some More Carolina-Style Barbecue. --Cooter

2 comments:

Empoprises said...

My daughter spent a year and a half at college in Wilson, so she definitely casts her vote on the eastern side.

RoadDog said...

My family is from Goldsboro, not too far away.

Of course, I like eastern better, but as I said, I've never met a 'cue I didn't like.