Friday, June 17, 2011

Remembering Erector Sets-- Part 1

From the December 5-11 American Profile Magazine "Erector Protector" by Vicki Cox.

This is about L. Andrew Jugle of Elmhurst, Illinois, who is one of the foremost Erector People in the country. One of his pride and joy sets of the old toy is a 1963 carousel.

Of course, the Erector Set was one of the great build-em toys of my youth along with Tinkertoys and Lincoln Logs. I liked them all, but probably the Lincoln Logs because it was more historical. They worked well with both my Blue and Gray-size soldiers and HO-scale ones.

Today, these sets have been replaced by Legos, which are also neat.

Said Jugle, "Erector sets weren't something that built just one toy; they could make thousands. There was nothing like them. Kids saw buildings and bridges being built outside their windows, and suddenly they could make the same thing."

Mr. Jugle, a retired science teacher, has a collection of more than 200 Erector sets lining the floor-to-ceiling shelves in his garage.

I'm sitting here right now and wondering whatever happened to my old Erector set? Did Mom throw it out or sell it at a garage sale? I've got a hankering to build something. I did find that the long straight erector pieces made excellent breastworks for my HO-scale soldiers. Behind some of these, my Confederate soldiers were absolutely invincible to approaching Union troops.

Mom! What Did You Do? --Cooter

No comments: