Monday, December 13, 2010

Dead Page: The Heart of the Cubs

RON SANTO (Feb. 25, 1940-Dec. 2, 2010)

The Heart of the Chicago Cubs.

This one hit me hard. Although a White Sox fan, I still like the Cubs and pull for them unless they are playing the White Sox. But, Ron Santo is one Cub I always respected.

He played major league baseball from 1960 to 1974, all but one year with the Cubs (the last one for the Sox).

During that time, he had five straight Gold Gloves at third base, appeared in nine All Star games and had a life batting average of .277, hit 342 home runs and 1,133 RBIs.

In that great Cub 1969 season that ended with so much disappointment, he batted .289, hit 29 home runs and batted in 123 runs. That year, he also became famous for his heel click.

His number 10 was retired and he broadcast Cubs games from 1990 to 2010.

And, sadly, he never made it into the Hall of Fame. Who knows how that ever happened?

I have written about him on my Down da Road I Go blog at http://downdaroadigo.blogspot.com since last week.

One of the greatest moments of my life was when he gave me a ride home back when I was in high school and I will write about that in full later this week on that blog.

A Great One.

No comments: