Wednesday, December 29, 2010

As Video Stores Ride Off into the Sunset-- Part 2

Christopher Borrelli doesn't remember when the last time he walked into a video store, rented a movie, took it home and then returned it. he uses Netflix and streams movies through Xbox.

Not only do I not remember my last visit to a video store, I have never used Netflix and what is Xbox? For that matter, I have never even looked at a DVD here at home. I only use VHS tapes. They still work fine. But, I am not one to jump on a technological bandwagon and have to be dragged kicking and screaming into such things, usually only because I can no longer use what I am accustomed to.

However, Borrelli, does have some warm thoughts about little independent mom and pop video stores like Specialty Video on Broadway in Chicago. He says it looks like the very first video stores. These are places where the workers are just as happy to turn the shopper on to different stuff than they came in for.

These stores are like the old mom and pop stores where people would come in and talk shop about records. I had two )Full Cyrkle in Crystal Lake, Il. and The Record Rack in Goldsboro, NC) that I liked and would spend hours in just talking and looking for little nuggets.

I doubt that I will ever get into video stores like I did record stores.

The only video store I went to was Rollins Video which started up in Round Lake Beach, Illinois, by a resident. He did so well, he had to move to a bigger store and even opened another one in Antioch.

Like They Said, "They Can't Take That Away from Me." --DaCoot

No comments: