Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Last Doughboy's Final Fight-- Part 1

May 30th Parade Magazine "The Last Doughboy's Final Fight" by Richard Rubin.

Back in 1917, Frank Buckles, 16, lied about his age and got into the US Army and was sent to France during World War I for the excitement and history that would be the Great War.

Now at age 109, and living in West Virginia, he has become America's last living Doughboy.

And, recently, he has become an activist as I have reported earlier. He has said, "I know that I am the representative of all those who have gone before me. Those veterans, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice, should be remembered." This referring to a national memorial in Washington, DC.

There is already a small memorial in DC honoring the 500 or so residents who died. It was dedicated in 1931, when Americans honored their dead in towns. Then, in 1982, the National Vietnam Veterans Memorial "The Wall" was unveiled on the
More to Come. --Cooter

No comments: