Friday, August 6, 2010

The Last Doughboy's Final Fight-- Part 4

America's last World War I veteran is fighting to have a national memorial built in Washington, DC, in the Mall area.

The American Battle Monuments Commission was established by Congress in 1923 with General John J. "Blackjack" Pershing in the leadership role. He had led American forces (the AEF) in France. Many beautiful monuments to our forces were built, but, unfortunately, all in Europe.

However, few Americans visit the sites and most don't even know they exist.

"The veterans I interviewed had one thing in common. No matter what they thought about their war in general or Army life, they were proud of their service to their country. And Frank Buckles is proud to stand up for them now. 'Veterans of all the wars deserve their honor,' he says."

Richard Rubin from the May 30, 2010 Parade Magazine. He is writing a book about the last American veterans of World War I. Should be a great read.

I am 100 per cent behind Mr. Buckles and his effort. It is the least we can do.

Time to Honor Our World War I Veterans (and My Grandfathers). --Cooter

No comments: