Monday, February 22, 2010

World War II History

There was an article in the February 21st Panama City (Fl) News Herald about World War II veteran Richard Wassall, 89 who was an Army Air Force photographer who served three years and 25 missions in China, India and Japan. He kept copies of the photos and also many periodicals published while he was serving like the jingBa Journal and the Confusion Beyond Imagination.

He has sold his collection to a Panama City historian and a copy of the items was placed in the Veterans History Archival Institute which is compiling as many accounts of the fast-dying off World War II generation for future generations.

According to Wassall, "When I was in the service I was just a kid up for adventure--I don't think I was aware of the the dangers I put myself in."

From 1942 to 1945, he served with the 1st Air Command in a "Grasshopper" L-5 plane, a multi-purpose aircraft used for reconnaissance, shipping and battle.

Operations in this theater of the war are not as well known as others.

Another Thing to Look Up. --Cooter

No comments: