Friday, February 19, 2010

Carnegie Award for Heroism

I came across an article in the Feb. 12th Chicago Tribune about a teacher in Elfin, Illinois, Walter M. Gannon, who had received a Carnegie Medal in 2009 for saving the life of fellow teacher Carolyn Gilbert who was being attacked by a knife-wielding student in her class.

That reminded me that my great uncle, David M. Prince of Goldsboro, NC, had received one in 1919 for attempting to save the life of a child and lost his own life in the process.

He was 24 years old and had just recently returned from service with the Goldsboro Rifles in World War I. On July 26, 1919, torrential rains had turned the rivers and creeks around Goldsboro into flooding torrents.

A 12-year-old boy, T. Jefferson Merritt, was playing alongside Little River when he got swept into a flooded field. He cried for help and my uncle attempted to save him. He reached the boy, but became separated and ended up drowning. The boy was saved by others.

For his attempt, my great uncle received the Carnegie Medal for heroism.

My mother still has the medal and a picture of him in uniform. He is buried at Willowdale Cemetery in Goldsboro.

A Real Hero.

No comments: