Friday, February 19, 2010

Canada's Last World War I Veteran Dies

Feb. 18th Los Angeles Times.

I'm sorry to report that Canada's last surviving World War I veteran has died at age 109. John Babcock died in Spokane, Washington, where he has lived since 1932. He is the last of 650,000 Canadian men and women who served in that long-ago war.

He was born July 23, 1900, and enlisted at the age of 15 after lying about his age. Arriving in England, his true age was discovered and he was assigned to the so-called "Young Soldiers Battalion." The war ended before he was able to go to the front.

After the war, he went to the US looking for work and eventually became a naturalized citizen.

This leaves just three verified veterans of World War I, two men and one woman.

One of my grandfathers was in the Army in this war and the other was in the Merchant Marine. Earlier today, I wrote about my great uncle who was also in the Army.

The Greatest Generation Before the Greatest Generation. A Salute.

No comments: