Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Idaho Pearl Harbor Survivor

November 23rd KPVI News 6 NBC.

Chris Harame left Pocatello in 1938 by joining the Navy and found himself aboard the USS Detroit as a gunner's mate on that fateful day.

He had just finished breakfast and was getting a head start on his holiday correspondence, "So, I was there writing my Christmas cards, I had the doors open to the mount, it was a nice cool breeze coming through...all of a sudden I heard those planes."

"I'm out there looking at this stuff and I can't believe it, because it happened, and it's not supposed to happen. It's like you're looking at a movie or something like that, like you're looking at something only it's real. I mean these ships are blowing up and people are getting killed and the planes an they're dropping bombs and torpedoes."

"I never thought of dying or getting killed." The Detroit narrowly missed getting hit by torpedoes and no one was injured.

Harame still has some shell casings fired on that day, but, "Incidentally, I don't know what happened to my Christmas cards."

Later in the war, he became a Naval diver and is one of only two Pearl Harbor survivors in the Pocatello area.

The Greatest generation. Wonder What Happened to Those Christmas Cards? --Cooter

No comments: