Friday, December 4, 2009

Bits O' History: German WW I Debt-- South Dakota in WW I

Some New News About Old Stuff.


1. GERMAN WW I DEBT-- Germany still owes $84 million from World War I. This balance was suspended in 1953 when the country became East and West Germany. However, when it was reunited in 1990, the debt came back. Dec. 3rd Press TV.

Come on guys, time to pay up.


2. SOUTH DAKOTA IN WW I-- The Dec. 3rd Sioux Falls Argus Leader reports that the state sent 29,686 soldiers to WW I, a whopping 5% of the states population. This ranked it in the top ten of states in volunteers.

There are many monuments to remember this service. There is a Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building in Pierre. Trees have been planted and, at the state fairgrounds in Huron, there is a 40/8 French box car which were the main mode of transportation for South Dakota troops on arrival in that country. It was so named because they could carry 40 men or 8 horses.

Time for a National Memorial on the Mall in DC, and Not the One for DC Veterans, But a New One. --Cooter

No comments: