Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dead Page: "I'll Never Understand Why I Chased Sound All My Life." --Part 1

LES PAUL 1915-2009

Guitarist's fiddling changed rock 'n' roll

Inventor and musician made sound innovations

By Claudia Luther, special to Tribune Newspapers

I've grown up always hearing about Les Paul and his contributions to Rock and Roll, but other than knowing he had some songs and invented what we know as the electric guitar, I didn't know that much about him.

That is because the very thing that enabled rock also led to his fall from the recording star category. I saw a special on PBS Saturday about his life, and this is one man I would have liked to meet.

He was quite a character,even into his nineties. We can only hope he died with an electric guitar in his hands.

More to Come.

No comments: