Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dead Page: Director Really Put Chicago on the Map

JOHN HUGHES, 59

I just barely know the names of actors and actresses today, and most of them I have never even heard of. I'm even worse when it comes to directors, even though I am familiar with some of their names. Just ask anyone when I'm playing NTN, any question about directors and their movies, and I'm dead in the water.

I must admit that I had heard of John Hughes before, but couldn't have told you the names of any of his movies, but I definitely knew his movies. Many of them were in my absolute favorite category.

Even better, many of his movies were filmed in and around the Chicagoland area.

His death last Thursday in New York City came as a shock, especially with his age of just 59.

The August 7th Chicago Tribune ran a special obituary in the entertainment section by Mike Caro.

He was born in Lansing, Michigan, and worked at Leo Burnett advertising in Chicago before writing the screen plays of "Mr. Mom" and "National Lampoon's Vacation" in 1983. After that came a slew of great movies that he directed like "Breakfast Club," ""Ferris Bueller's Day Off," and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles."

I'll Have More of His Movies .

No comments: