Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ten Things You Might Not Know About Beer-- Part 3

Almost forgot to mention that they had three good pictures to go along with the list.

The first showed a group of folks in German attire evidently in Munich and hoisting those gigantor steins of beer. I sure hope to get to that town at some point and experience it. I always check out Oktoberfests around here. I not only love the German beer (even domestic), prices, but then there's that great German food, not to mention oom-pah bands. I really love that music.

The second was a picture of Windell Middlebrooks, the Miller High Life guy who determines who should or shouldn't have the opportunity to drink the High Life. He is the very antithesis of the Paris Hiltons and yuppies of the world. I'd sure vote for him.

Too bad they didn't have a picture of the FIRST BEER DRINKER of the world, good old Norm from "Cheers." Chicago's own George Wendt. I still love his Cheers entrances, the call, and his astute observations.

The third was of a woman from the 1920s or 1930s, holding a bottle of Schlitz beer in front of a sign reading "The last bottle of beer bottled before Prohibition. Insured for $25,000.00 (Bottled by Schlitz Brewery, Milwaukee). Wonder whatever happened to it?

Speaking of Schlitz, when I was at Northern Illinois, I had a huge poster of Joseph Schlitz in black and white standing in an old bar with a mug in his hand. A popular toast was, "Would Papa Joe drink to this." The answer was always "hell Yes!" and a toast. I wonder whatever happened to that poster?

Still Like the Stuff. --Da Coot

No comments: