Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fall of Fort Fisher Today

I don't usually do entries about the Civil War as I have another blog just on that: http://sawtheelephant.blogspot.com, but it was this battle that got me interested in the Civil War, and from there, history, so it had a really big impact on my life considering that I taught social studies for 33 years.

The fall of Fort Fisher on this date back in 1865, sealed the port of Wilmington and with that, the South's last connection with the outside world. Lee surrendered less than three months later.

Until recently, not much was written about it, but at least four books have now been published on the subject.

It was kind of like my introduction to Route 66 back in 2002. From there, I expanded to the Lincoln Highway and all other historical roads.

Doing That HISTORY Thing. --Cooter

No comments: