Sunday, January 18, 2009

Groceries March 18, 1971

Whenever I get an old newspaper, I have to admit I'm more interested in the ads than the news articles. A few months ago, I attended the monthly meeting of the Fox Lake, Illinois, Historical Society. Lakeland Publishers has donated some huge old books of bound newspapers, so I was looking through one from 1971 and came across the prices for grocery items.

A store called Shop Rite Roundy was offering:

smoked ham-- 49 cents a pound
sliced bacon-- 49 cents a pound
10 lbs. Idaho potatoes-- 69 cents
3 lb. can of Hills Brothers coffee-- $2.09
potato salad-- 29 cents a lb.
fresh baked cherry tarts-- 15 cents


I could sure live with these prices in today's expensive times.

I also say a photograph elsewhere of a group of World War I soldiers standing in front of Koeth's (pronounced Keith's) Tavern which was across from the train depot.

What I have long suspected as a cottage-style gas station on Grand Avenue, was actually one, according to some of the members.

Real is History is Local History. --Da Old Coot

No comments: