Saturday, February 16, 2008

Bob's Aching Back (Or, Chicago's Blizzard of 1967)

Talked with my brother Bob yesterday in connection with the horrible thing at my alma mater, Northern Illinois.

After awhile, we got to talking about the snow that we're getting clobbered with this winter. That brought back fond (well, for me) memories of the Blizzard of 1967.

Bob has not really forgiven me for it, even to this day. Back in November, 1966, I had broken my leg in wrestling practice a few days after my first match (which I won, by the way). I had a cast all the way up to my hip and this was a big ole plaster one. That took care of my having to do any chores around the house. 

Then came the Blizzard of '67 and we got socked with 24 inches of snow out in Palatine. Manning the snow shovels was part of my brother's and my job description. Dad didn't need a snowblower (and I'm not even sure they had them back then) with two strapping young lads to clear the white stuff off. Guess who couldn't do any snow shoveling due to an old sports injury?

Bob claimed that I knew it was coming and broke my foot on purpose. You never heard more grumbling as he put on his boots, coat, cap, and gloves and trudged out the door. I just sat there playing my NHL hockey game I'd gotten for Christmas with a big old smile on my face. I did feel some pity for the poor guy, but that broken leg had finally come in handy.

Yesterday, he told me the snow was so deep, he had to remove it in layers which took a long time. He was also mad at the Catholics because there was a church and school across the street. In Palatine, you had to also clear off sidewalks. His sidewalk clearing job was only the width of the shovel. He didn't care if people had to walk sideways to pass, he would shovel no more.

Sorry 'Bout that Dear Bro...Heh, Heh, Heh. --Cooter

1 comment:

Daddy Bob said...

Yep, My aching back. No I wasn't mad at the Catholics. I was upset with the Village of Palentine codes that you must clear sidewalks or get fined and be liabalbe for natural accumalations of snow. What a bunch of bull. I do believe they came out with snow blowers in the 60's as I remember some of the neighbors and my friends Dad's getting one.