Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Deaths: NASA's Mission Control Guy-- Part 2: We Did Not Know A Damn Thing About Putting A Man Into Space"


Neil Armstrong once called him "the man who was the 'Control' in Mission Control."

"From the moment the mission starts until the moment the crew is safe on board the recovery ship, I'm in charge,"  Mr. Kraft said in his book, "Flight:  My Life in Mission Control,"  .  "No one can overrule me....They can fire me after it's over.  But while the mission is under way, I'm Flight.  And Flight is God."

In the early days of Mercury at Florida's Cape Canaveral, before Mission Control moved to Houston in 1965, there were no computer displays, "all  you had was grease pencils."

"We didn't know a damn thing about putting a man into space.  We had no idea how much it would cost."

But, Much Success Did Come.  Thanks Mr. Kraft

No comments: