Monday, August 5, 2019

Chicago 1919 Race Riot-- Part 10: A Call for Historical Markers


Efforts are underway for a public art project that would erect markers at the visited sites where people were killed ir riot events occurred.

I would definitely like for this to happen as before reading this article I had heard of the 1919 racial conflict but didn't know much about it.  I am a firm supporter of markers (or as they call them in North Carolina, "History On a Stick").  Also memorials and statues.  History must be told.

"My grandmother was about four when the riots happened and had very vivid memories of it" recalled Rebecca Connie, program manager at Blackstone, which trained youth participants as marshals to guide the bike tour.

"I remember she told me the story of how she and her 3-year-old sister and infant brother were hiding in the basement, guarded by an uncle with a shotgun.  He had been injured in the war (WW I).  All the other men were out in the neighborhood standing post," she said.

A Way Too Horrible Thing To Forget.

No comments: