Friday, May 6, 2016

World War I's Lt. David M. Prince-- Part 1: Officer Training and World War I

I was in the Wayne County Museum earlier this week and there is a display of a picture, uniform top coat, helmet and his Carnegie Medal.

Lt. Prince was my great uncle.

Lt. David M. Prince, Co. I, 119th Infantry.  Born in Halifax, N.C., August 7, 1896 to David and Minnie Prince.  As a child he moved to Goldsboro.

In May 1915, he joined the North Carolina National Guard and was assigned to Co. E, 2nd N.C. Infantry Regiment and made a sergeant with Lt. Zeno Hollowell.

He went to officer training at Camp Stanley near San Antonio, Texas and rejoined the regiment as a second lieutenant in Company I at Camp Servier, S.C., before deployment to France in May 1918 during World War I.


No comments: