Friday, January 30, 2015

"Mr. Cub" Ernie Banks, Speaks-- Part 2

The Cubs resurgence in the late 60s led to his most memorable saying: "The Cubs will shine in '69."  And, they indeed did shine until September when that horrible thing happened which surely broke a lot of hearts.  (Not mine, though, as the Sox had done that to me with their fold in the final five games in '67.)

IN HIS OWN WORDS"

ERNIE BANKS' SIGNATURE QUOTE (though there are two variations):  "What a beautiful day!  Let's play two!"

IN 1955:  "I'm different from those that swing hard.  Can't follow the pitch if I try to slug.  I whip the bat with my wrists, with a snap.  This way I can wait longer to swing."

IN 1969, WHEN BANKS WAS NAMED TO THE CTA BOARD (Chicago Transportation Agency):  "For one thing, I want to make sure that the elevated always stops at Wrigley Field."

Da Man!

No comments: