Monday, January 12, 2015

Last-Known Eastland Disaster Survivor Dies-- Part 3

At 7:30 a.m., while tied to the wharf, the ship rolled onto its side and sank in the Chicago River between LaSalle and Clark streets.  Unable to get out of the ship or get to shore safely, scores died, including 22 families.Marion Eichholz's story of that day is at Eastland Disaster Historical Society's website.

It reads in part:

"My mom... and my dad ... were seated on the upper deck, and I was standing by Mom's chair.  Suddenly the boat listed and I fell against the railing.  Mom pulled me back to her side.

"People began to panic, and women were running and screaming.  Dad picked me up in his arms, stood on the railing, and jumped into the river."

Her mother was thrown a rope after going down into the water while still seated on the boat.

"I remember Dad swimming with me in one arm.  I was crying, and my strap slippers were dangling from my ankles.  We were picked up by a tugboat and brought to shore.


No comments: