Wednesday, November 7, 2012

November 6th Is a Big Day for Radio: Hello FM

As I sit here listening to WDRV-FM's "A to Z", this is the day after a big day for the medium called FM, because on November 6, 1935, Edwin H. Armstrong announced to the world his development of FM broadcasting, after large-scale field tests of the new technology at RCA's facilities on the 85th floor of the Empire State Building from May 1934 to October 1935.  Eureka, it works!!

In 1937, Armstrong financed the construction of the first FM radio station W2XMN, a 40-kilowatt station in Alpine, New Jersey.

More often than not these days, I listen to FM stations and have liked them ever since I first became aware of them in the late 60s.  These so-called underground stations played that great variety of music and with fewer commercials, way more than the AM stations I listened to, primarily WLS and WCFL in Chicago.

Then, of course, FM became segmented and formatted and more like the old A< stations.

Even so, here in Chicago I'm a major WDRV and WXRT fan.  Plus, on the internet I listen to 94.9 WVCO the Surf in North Myrtle Beach (for my Beach Fix).


Also, on November 6th in 1947, Hank Williams recorded one of the all-time great country songs, "Honky Tonkin'."

Hey, When Do the Christmas Stations Start Up?  --Cooter --

No comments: