Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Whole Lot of History On Trip So Far

I left home on Sunday, November 18th and arrived here in Goldsboro, NC, last night.  Monday and Tuesday I did quite a bit of history stuff.

Monday, it was a drive along the National Road from Zanesville, Ohio, to its eastern terminus in Cumberland, Maryland.  Along the way, I stopped at Fort Necessity in Pennsylvania.  I'd always heard of it, but didn't know a lot about it other than George Washington was involved.

Tuesday was a trip out to Antietam Battlefield and a drive around Sharpsburg, Maryland, then a short drive out to Harper's Ferry, now West Virginia.  I saw John Brown's fort.  Of course, his raid did more to start the Civil War than most anything else.

The rest of yesterday involved the horror that is driving around Washington, DC, and the horror that is I-95.

I'll be writing more about the National Road in my RoadLog.  Antietam, Sharpsburg and Harper's Ferry will be in my Saw the Elephant blog about the Civil War.

Good to Arrive.  --Cooter

No comments: