Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dead Page: Rocket Man

RAY BRADBURY (1920-2012)

June 7th Chicago Tribune "Rocket Man" by Julia Keller.

"The history books say that Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space, but the history books are wrong.  It was Ray Bradbury.  And unlike Gagarin, he took the rest of us along for the ride."  He died June 5th in Los Angeles, but never forgot his Waukegan, Illinois, roots.

Actually, I was under the idea that he had already died and have to admit that I have never read anything by him, but I sure know of him.

And, he never forgot Waukegan, a town I've lived near since 1975.  He helped save the Carnegie library and Waukegan was the basis of his "Green Town."  Also, I just read that a digital copy of his "Martian Chronicles" is on the planet Mars.  Wonder if that lil' Disney guy has read it?

Famous for his science fiction like "The Martian Chronicles" and "Fahrenheit 451," he also wrote a lot of other books and short articles in other genres.

No comments: