Saturday, January 28, 2012

45th Anniversary of Chicago's Blizzard of '67: Brother Bob Still Claims I Did It On Purpose

It slipped my mind, too, until Bob Stroud (not the Bob I am referring to in the headline) said that his Sunday Rock and Roll Roots Show was going to highlight the music playing on our radios when we were a bit snowbound back on January 27, 1967.

Starting at 5:02 AM on Thursday, Jam. 26th, the snow came and didn't stop until 10:10 AM on Friday, Jan. 27th. This was the biggest snowfall in Chicago's history. It also came with lots of wind (hey, Windy City) and we had drifts. Mighty big drifts and the city ground to a standstill.

Just two days earlier, temps in Chicago had been an extremely unseasonal 65 degrees. Then the temps started to drop, then the snow came.

To add insult to injury, we got four more inches Feb. 1st and four days later, another ten inches.


DID IT ON PURPOSE

This was in the days before snow blowers, when the home's boys were expected to get out there with snow shovels and clear the driveway and sidewalks. There were two of us, but the only thing was that I had broken my right ankle wrestling back in December and had a full cast. So...I couldn't help clear all that snow.

Brother Bob swore that I must have known this was coming and had broken my ankle on purpose. I just sat there watching TV with a big smile on my face as he trudged out the door, uttering what I suppose were oaths of love under his breath.

I'll be listing some songs from the WLS Silver Dollar Survey for January 27, 1967, on my Down Da Road I Go Blog.

So, If You Lived Through It (BOB) or Just Like to Hear a Lot of Great Music from 45 Years Ago, Give It a Listen. --DaCoot

3 comments:

Empoprises said...

I lived in Evanston in the late 1960s, and this is presumably the big snowstorm that I remember as a child. I was too young to shovel myself, but my dad went out front of our apartment complex and joined the other men in shoveling.

Daddy Bob said...

Oh yea I remember the blizzard well. The worst part was the drifting. We had a huge drift against the garage doors. Is was about 4' high. I remember having to go out the front door with a shovel just to get close to the drift. Yep, you broke your leg on purpose :) Our sister did help some and Dad helped as he couldn't get to work anyway.

RoadDog said...

Yup. This would be the big one you remember.

Poor Bob had to do most of the shoveling. I just stayed inside with my cast propped up on a pillow and got real good at playing the hockey game I got for Christmas.

Nobody could beat me on it.