Friday, March 25, 2011

Seven Springs, North Carolina-- Part 1

Took a trip to this really small city (as it is classified) today. I mean, 85 people according to a 2006 census, is hardly what I'd call a city, but they seem happy.

We ate at one of the two restaurants, Mae's, and had a delicious breakfast. I've never seen so much bacon and country ham in a western omelet, along with a double serving of grits (hey, it's North Carolina), toast and coffee for $5. This was definitely a locals spot.

Judging from the people at Mae's were and the owner of a local store, this is one friendly place.

They call themselves the oldest town in Wayne County. A William Whitfield, II, was living there as the first settler in the area in 1742. He married four times and had 29 children, 21 of whom reached adulthood. His grave is in a park next to the river alongside his son, William Whitford, III.

During the Civil War, the Battle of White Hall (as it was then-called) took place there. I asked why it was named White Hall and I've also seen Whitehall, but no one at Mae's knew for sure. Perhaps because they white washed the buildings?

I will be writing about that battle on my Civil War Blog in a few days.http://sawtheelephant.blogspot.com

How Many Folks Live in Your City? --Cooter

No comments: