Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Goldsboro, NC's Herman Park-- Part 1

Yesterday, my brother Bob, his wife Judy and I took their sheltie Gracie for a walk around Herman Park here in Goldsboro, located right across Jackson Street from their home and my mother's.

This is the biggest and prettiest parks in the city.

It was donated by the town's biggest merchants, Solomon and Henry Weil back in 1890 in honor of their brother Herman Weil, hence the name and features ten lighted tennis courts, three picnic shelters, a turn-of-the century park house, a large children's playground, a fountain/goldfish pool and a famous statue.

I can't forget to mention, a miniature train as well (even though the sign on Ash Street shows the direction to the "Minature Train").

In 1916, the Herman Weil family presented the city and park with a statue called "Goddess of Youth" which was placed in the middle of the fish pond. By 2001, it had deteriorated to the point that it needed to be replaced and $50,000 was raised by local businesses and people, including my mom, at it was replaced. The original is now in the Wayne County Historical Museum in the old World War II USO building.

Tomorrow, I will tell about my family and the park.

Quite a History. --Cooter

No comments: