Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Here's a Bit of Space History You Can Own

From the March 20th Detroit Free Press.

Alright, it was something from space from the other side, but still a real piece of history.

Soviet Space History on the Block.

In April, Sotheby's is putting the Soviet Union's VOSTOK 3KA2 up for auction and expecting to get $10 million for it. It orbited earth once back on March 25, 1961, hey, just over 30 years ago.

A life-sized cosmonaut mannequin and a live dog spent two hours in space, then landed in a field 700 miles from Moscow.

Three weeks later, cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin went up in an identical space ship and became the first human to go into outer space.

By the way, in case you're wondering what happened to the dog, named Zvezdocha, it survived.

I would bid on it, but my extra funds are tied up filling my gas tank.

Besides, I Bet My Subdivison Organization Wouldn't Let Me Put It Out on My Lawn Anyway. --Cooter

No comments: