Friday, November 12, 2010

A Pearl Harbor Coincidence-- Part 1

Today, while over my backlog of e-mails, I came across one for a 90th birthday party for Robert Coyne who was at Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941, when the attack came.

Every year, there are fewer and fewer survivors who were there at the Day of Infamy. This past Saturday, I was able to meet Thomas E. Decker, a Pearl Harbor survivor at the Meet-A-Vet Day at the Fox Lake, Illinois, American Legion.

While reading the article on Mr. Coyne in the October 14th Lehigh Acres (Fl) Citizen, I saw where he was on board the destroyer USS Hull at Pearl Harbor. I had seen that ship's name just recently.

Mr. Decker had handouts Saturday and I got one. I looked at it and sure enough, he also was on the Hull during the attack.

They must know each other. I had Mr. Decker's business card and phone number so called him. He remembered Mr. Coyne and said there were still three crewmembers living from the attack and he had been trying to get in touch with him. The article gave Mr. Coyne's phone number so I gave it to Mr. Decker.

Quite the Coincidence. --Cooter

No comments: