Wednesday, November 10, 2010

And, a Big Happy Birthday to the USMC!!!

It was this date back in 1775, that Captain Samuel Nichols formed two battalions of Continental Marines in Philadelphia to serve as naval infantry. Thus began one of the greatest military organizations in history.

I myself had a short tenure as a Marine, serving six weeks back in the summer of 1971 when I was enrolled in Officer candidate School and went to Quantico, Virginia, for six weeks. Let me tell you that was the roughest six weeks of my life. I couldn't do anything right in a military way for the first three weeks but eventually started catching on.

Fortunately, the Vietnam War began winding down after that and there was no need for more officers and it was over by the time I graduated from college in 1973.

This Saturday, I plan to attend the Marine Corps breakfast at the American Legion in Fox Lake, Illinois.

Great Fighting Group, Those Marines. --Cooter

No comments: