Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meet-A-Vet Day-- Part 1

This past November 6th, the Fox Lake, Illinois, American Legion sponsored their first Meet-A-Vet Day. We weren't sure how well it would turn out, but judging from the fact that people complained about how hard it was to find a place to park in our large lot, I'd have to say it was an overwhelming success.

There were a lot of veterans and re-enactors there talking about their experiences and show momentos. There were also sons and daughters of veterans showing stuff about their fathers.

All wars from the Civil War to present were represented and there was a mini Civil War US Signal Corps encampment by the lake.

I had expected a lot of older people, but there were a lot of kids in house along with scouts. Many local teachers were giving extra credit for students if they attended. It is great that these kids now know that "Freedom Ain't Free."

I visited with several veterans, particularly World War II as I have definitely gotten more interested in it because of this blog which seems to be more-and-more heading in that direction.

I especially enjoyed my talk with Thomas E. Decker, a Pearl Harbor survivor and Navy veteran. This led to the five part Pearl Harbor Coincidence entries I finished yesterday.

More to Come. DaCoot

No comments: