Friday, July 9, 2010

In Congress, July 4, 1776-- Part 3

I haven't read it yet, but still have some of the textbooks I used to use, so will find a copy and read it by Sunday. This editorial moved me and sort of shamed me at the same time.

On July 3rd, John Adams wrote his wife Abigail that in the future July 2nd would be "celebrated by succeeding generations...with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

He was wrong about the date but right on the mark with the celebration aspect. I wonder how he knew the country he was starting would one day stretch from sea to shining sea?

From the Tribune: "So, start the parades. Let the 'illuminations' fly. Light the bonfires. And what about starting a new tradition? Find the text of the Declaration of Independence and read it aloud. It takes less than 10 minutes-- though you might want to allow some extra time for the cheers.

Think I'll Do Just That. Where Are Those Old Textbooks? --DaCoot

No comments: