Friday, July 9, 2010

In Congress, July 4, 1776-- Part 1

The July 4th Chicago Tribune had an editorial titles "The Declaration."

It related how last year, a group of Midwesterners crowded into a barn while it was raining and a man began to recite the Declaration of Independence.

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people...
"We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."

He read not only the parts we're familiar with, but the whole thing. Most adult Americans probably have not read it since high school. Actually, I taught it in Middle school for the last ten years before retiring, so am very knowledgeable about the document as a result. Otherwise, I wouldn't be.

At first, the crowd was restive, but more and more began tuning in, then pretty much everyone. There was silence, then cheers and fist-pumping when the man got to the part about King George's abuses.

Liz and I definitely celebrated the 4th of July with bands, boating, parades, bars, flea markets, parties and fireworks, but I didn't do this. I think next year, I will get out the copy of the Declaration and read it. That would be the least I could do. As a matter of fact, I think I'll do it this weekend.

God Bless the USA. --Cooter

No comments: