Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fred Johnson, Circus Artist

In today's earlier entry about the closing of Kiddieland, I wrote about Fred Johnson "America's master of circus and carnival art"who, at age 85, repainted the park's merry-go-round.

I'd never heard of him, so did a quick research on him.

I was very impressed with the sideshow banners he painted. One site is offering some for sale at $6,000 and up.

Mr. Johnson was/is? a legend in sideshow banners and had a 65-year career painting circus and carnival banners. He worked at O. Henry Tent and Awning Company in Chicago from 1934 to 1974.

Famous for his old-school techniques, he influenced many new artists in the field. Some of the banners were huge, 10-15 feet.

The Accidental Memories Blog has pictures of ten of his banners, including the 28 inch-high horse and Sylvia, the big-footed girl.

http://accidntalmemories.blogspot.com/2009/03/sideshow-banners-of-fred-johnson-1934.html.

After looking at them, I have seen that style of banner. I can never forget the one I saw at the North Carolina State Fair as a youngster where a guy was in a huge ball with a stick in his mouth and thousands of ants crawling up the side. Still brings shivers to my back. Wonder if Mr. Johnson painted this one?

A Bit of Americana. --Cooter

No comments: