Tuesday, October 20, 2009

America's National Parks

September 26th Chicago Tribune "'Parks' pays tribute to men behind the idea" by Mary McNamara.

I watched several of the two-hour segments and was happy at least they were tied into a donation/pledge drive as is usual the case. Hey, I already belong to WTTW. Those who belong shouldn't have to wait through those breaks.

This was a much ballyhooed six part series called "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" which ran six straight nights from Sept. 27th. I know that whenever we visit a national park, I don't feel nearly so sad about all the taxes I pay.

Lots of old photos, new camera shots and interesting stories were included. McNamara points out that although studies show American attention is about zero any more, Ken Burns continues getting into the details. But the pace could be picked up. Plus, she's tired of fiddle and banjo music (no "Dueling Banjos" though).

Plus, historian Clay Jenkinson says America's best idea was equal rights for all its citizens.

I found the impact of the parks on regular citizens and the growth of the automobile quite interesting.

Sadly, I haven't been to many of the parks other than a Route 66 trip where we went to the Petrified Forest and Grand Canyon, and Smokey Mountains.

Putting the Parks on Upcoming Agenda. --Da Coot

No comments: