Friday, February 6, 2009

The Day the Music Died

This past Tuesday, February 3rd, was the 50th anniversary of the plane crash in Iowa that took the lives of three of R n R's bug stars back in 1959: Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, and the Big Bopper (J. P. Richardson).

I was alive, but only 8 and not listening to music, so it had no impact on me. It took the Beatles arriving five years later to do that, and then, did it really have an impact on me.

Last night, at Donovan's Reef, they were having a hard time getting folks to get up and sing, so after a few brews, there I stood on stage and sang "Chantilly Lace" by the Big Bopper in honor of the event. I have to make sure any one I sing is not a good singer, otherwise, it's not pretty. I did great on the spoken parts, and passable on the singing.

Later. I tried Don McLean's "American Pie" with much poorer results. Sure are lots of words sung fast and no breaks. I was breathless afterwards.

Rock and Roll Obviously Did Not Die. --Cooter

No comments: