Thursday, September 6, 2018

I Sure Got My History's Worth Last Weekend-- Part 4: Grant Park and the Cannons


AUGUST 26, SUNDAY

After leaving the U.S. Grant House, I drove the short distance to Grant Park by the river and took a walk around it.  They are noted for their cannons captured in war.

First I took a look at the Napoleon 12-pounder, a cannon used extensively during the Civil War in both Confederate and Union artillery units.  This one was reportedly captured.  Then, i saw the Blakely cannon which was at the attack on Fort Sumter and might have fired the first shot of the battle.

Then they have a large cannon from the Spanish cruiser Viscaya, sunk during the Spanish-American War.

Lastly, there was a Krupps cannon from World War I.

All Of These Were Captured Cannons.  --Cooter


No comments: