Wednesday, September 5, 2018

I Sure Got My History's Worth Last Week-- Part 3: Elihu Washburne's House


On Friday, August 24, I noticed a sign out by the Washburne home in Galena saying that it was open Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m..  I've been wanting to visit this place for many years, but it is usually closed.  And, it was 11 a.m..  I stopped.

This is an impressive house and a state historic site.  Home to one of Galena's most influential men, Elihu Washburne.  He was a multi-term U.S. Congressman from Illinois and a great friend of U.S. Grant.  He was largely responsible for Grant getting back into the Army as becoming a brigadier general (one star).

On election night 1868, Grant and others were in this house, which was hooked up to a telegraph, to follow voting results and was there when he found out he was the new president.

Also, two of Elihu's brothers were U.S. representatives from Wisconsin and Minnesota.

An Important Man Few Know Today.  --DaCoot


No comments: