Wednesday, December 9, 2009

USAT Willard A. Holbrook

On December 7th, I wrote about South Dakotan William Gese who was on the transport Willard A. Holbrook at Pearl Harbor and had attended Mass on the the USS Oklahoma one week to the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I did some follow up research on the US Army Transport Willard A. Holbrook. It was built by the Bethlehem Steel Company at Sparrows Point, Maryland in 1921 and originally named the Buckeye State. It weighed 14,123 tons, was 517 feet long, 72feet wide and had a top speed of 16 knots. The US Shipping Board ordered it.

The Buckeye State was transferred to US authorities in 1923 and renamed the President Taft. In 1940, it was again transferred to Army Transportsn 1940 and got its third name, the Willard A. Holbrook.

On December 7, 1941, it was part of a convoy with 8 other ships heading for the Philippines. The main ship was the heavy cruiser USS Pensacola and the convoy was known as the Pensacola Convoy. Upon hearing news of the attack on Pearl Harbor, the convoy was rerouted to Australia.

It took part in Pacific operations throughout the war.

After the war, it was sold and operated for the rest of its career as the Armin W. Leuschner until it was scrapped in Baltimore in 1957.

From Wikipedia which also has an article on the Pensacola Convoy.

What's in a Name? --Cooter

8 comments:

NanBD said...

The ship was renamed after VJ Day, when it became the USAT Willard A. Holbrook (again). Todd Shipyards converted it to a military dependent transport ship (war bride ship)wich it was until summer of 1946. it was sold for scrapping in October of 1957.

teresa morgan said...

My father was Lester Morgan, 147th FA, Dell Rapids SD. He was on the Willard Holbrook as a member of the Pensacola Convoy of 1941. He kept detailed diaries the entire war. He mentioned that the Holbrook, when it entered Pearl Harbor on 27 Nov 1941, was tied up to the cruiser New Orleans. However, one blogger said that the Holbrook was next to the battleship Oklahoma. Do you have any clarifying information about this ?

Montie Morgan

RoadDog said...

I had never heard of the ship before this.

The Daddy Ganoush said...

The USAT Willard A. Holbrook was also used to transport displaced persons from Europe to the United States after World War II. I know this because my father came to the United States as a 7 year old, along with my grandparents, in May 1949 on board the Holbrook.

Unknown said...

Same with my Mother and grandparents, also in 1949

Gary Schulte said...

Teresa Morgan, I know this is in response to an old post, but I just found it today. I am doing research on the 147th's time from the time it left South Dakota until Noemfoor. My dad was in Battery E out of Yankton.

If there is a way for me to get a copy of your dad's diary I would appreciate it. I have found a number of other diaries, but I am interested in the thoughts of the men in the 147th. My dad never talked about his time in the 147th so I don't have much from him to help me understand what they went through.

Gary Schulte
dauis2@msn.com

Gary Schulte said...

Teresa Morgan, I know you post was several years ago, but I just found this site.

I am doing research on the 147th from the time it left Yankton until Noemfoor. My dad was a member of Battery E.

I have several diaries, videos, pictures, etc., but I would appreciate it if you could share your dad's diary. My dad didn't talk much about his time in the 147th so I can trying to use other sources to get a better idea of what the men of the 147th went through.

Gary Schulte
dauis2189@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I know this conversation is originally dead, but I am writing a history of NY dad's service in the 147th. He was in Baatery E out of Yankton. Have you scanned any of your father's diaries? If so I would be very interested in reading them. Gary Schulte