Friday, September 7, 2018

I Sure Got My History's Worth Last Week-- Part 5: World War II's LST-325


Let's see, the history of us, Civil War, and, oh yes, World War II.  I got excited when Is aw the World War II LST-325 was going to be in Dubuque, Iowa, this weekend, so it definitely got on my list of things to do.

We spent the last two days of our vacation in Dubuque.  I had planned to tour the ship on Sunday, but the line waiting to go on it was way too long, so I put it off until Monday.  I had worried that they wouldn't attract many people to see it, but at least 4,000 went on board each day.

Monday, I stood in line for about 30 minutes and toured the ship which had been at D-Day and after the war spent 30-some years in the Greek Navy.  These ships had flat bottoms and would run up on a beach and drop off tanks, vehicles or troops.  LST stands for Landing Ship Tank, though, their crews said LST stood for "Large Slow Target."

Well Worth the Wait.  --Cooter

No comments: