Sunday, April 3, 2022

50 Things About 'The Godfather' on Its 50th Anniversary-- Part 1: Dem Oranges

 The movie "The Godfather" was released on March 15, 1972.  I don't remember if I saw it on the big screen back then or not.  Most likely not.  But on March 24 this year I finally got my chance to see it at the theater and took advantage of it at the Fox Lake Theatre in Fox Lake, Illinois.  

I was expecting a big crows and was surprised when I found myself the only one there.  Oh, well, my own private screening.

I have seen it many times on TV.  That was just one magnificent film.

Chicago Sun-Times movie columnist Richard Roeper wrote an article "50 Ways to Love 'The Godfather.' "

Here they are:

1.  ORANGES.  Beware the oranges.  When you see one in the movie, death and heartbreak are sure to follow.

2.  CONNIE'S WEDDING:  The soon-to-be-late Tessio juggles an orange.

3.  STREET WHERE DON CORLEONE gets shot:  Oranges spilled.  "I'm gonna buy some fruit."

4.  PRODUCER JACK WOLTZ's dining room table with a giant bowl or oranges.

5.  THE FIVE FAMILIES' MEETING:  An orange atop the bowl of fruit on the table.

6.  DON COREONE's DARDEN:  Oranges

7.  PRODUCTION DESIGNER DEAN TAVOULARIS used the oranges to brighten the otherwise muted hues of the sets.

Beware the Oranges.  --CootFather


No comments: