Wednesday, May 9, 2018

World War I Impact On Germans in Chicagoland and McHenry County, Illinois


I used to belong to an organization that had roots dating back to the 1880s and was German.  Germans could join and with membership came support as well as funds to help them in case of major medical expenses and burial.

I can't remember the name, as part of it was still in German, but think it it had something to do with Understubing, but part of the name was changed from German words to "Welcome Park" because of anti-German sentiment during World War I.

We live in Spring Grove, Illinois, and the town to the south of us is Johnsburg.  Both towns were settled largely by Germans.  I know of no histories written for either town about World War I, but suspect they also encountered anti-German sentiment.

--Cooter

No comments: