Monday, May 25, 2015

Lots of History At That Old Track

I just got back from my fourth Indy 500 trip a few hours ago.  And there is a lot of history associated with the venue.

Carl Fisher was instrumental in its founding as he wanted a place to safely test the fairly new and growing American love affair with automobiles.  I am sure he could never have envisioned this past weekend in even his wildest dreams.

Of course, if there was ever a man of "No Small Dreams," that would be Carl Fisher.  Not only was the Speedway one of his things, but also the Lincoln Highway, Dixie Highway, Miami Beach and, I believe Montauk somewhere in the northeast.

If I recall, without looking it up, the first ran here in 1909, but the famed Indy 500 race did not begin until a few years later.  As a matter of fact, this next one will be a real biggie as it is the 100th Running of what they call the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

That Is Going to Be SOME Party.  --Cooter

No comments: